New Form I-9 Published on January 31, 2020: Next Steps for Employers
USCIS has published the latest version of Form I-9. Employers should begin using the new version starting January 31, 2020. The notice provides employers additional time to make necessary updates and adjust their business processes. Employers may continue using the 2017 version until April 30, 2020.
Form and Instruction Changes
- Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the Issuing Authority field (when selecting a foreign passport) in Section 2 to add Eswatini and Macedonia, North (change is only visible on the online form)
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
If you have any questions regarding this alert, please contact your designated Gibney representative or email email@example.com.