The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) requires U.S. employers to verify the identity and work eligibility of newly hired employees, including U.S. citizens. To comply with this requirement, employers must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 and retain Forms I-9 for government inspection.
The Form I-9 is a one-page document, but its completion is a complex process. Employers can be exposed to fines and penalties for errors and omissions on the form, or for failure to properly retain the form. Compliance is especially challenging for employers with multiple worksites and with employees in nonimmigrant visa status.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has stepped-up its enforcement of IRCA. Heightened enforcement has also expanded to the states with the proliferation of state worksite enforcement laws supplementing federal law. Under these laws, some employers are required to supplement Form I-9 completion by participating in E-Verify, an internet-based employment eligibility system operated by DHS in partnership with the Social Security Administration.
The heightened need for employer compliance with Form I-9 and other worksite enforcement laws presents an opportunity for employers to adopt an automated electronic system for Form I-9 completion and with one that integrates the use of E-Verify.
In response to these challenges, Gibney Onboarding Services has developed Gibneyi9, a proprietary electronic Form I-9 system that provides employers with the following benefits:
- Enables employers and employees to complete Forms I-9 with electronic signatures from any location 24/7 without having to create a hard copy of the form
- Permits authorized employer access at any time to audit and review Form I-9 data
- Provides for authorized government access in accordance with DHS regulations
- Increases technical compliance with Form I-9 completion by using prompts that alert users to forms completed improperly
- Alerts employers if verification documents are unacceptable and prevents over documentation
- Houses a Form I-9 tutorial for employer representatives
- Permits company personnel (and counsel) to conduct audits of an employer's Form I-9 program
- Tracks deadlines for Form I-9 completion
- Provides 180, 90, 60 and 30 day alerts for time limited work authorization documents
- Enables entry of an employee's termination date and provides alerts for the purging of Forms I-9
Historical Form I-9 Storage
- Permits the upload of historical Forms I-9
- Provides for easy retrieval of historical Forms I-9
- Is fully integrated with E-Verify for employers who opt for or are required to participate in E-Verify
- Permits the automatic submission of historical Forms I-9 into E-Verify
Flexibility and Customization
- Enables employers to store a copy of the employee’s work eligibility and identity documents with each employee’s Form I-9
- Permits customization for each employer's specific needs including design, color, logo and welcome messages
- Offers standard or customized search options for and reports on the Forms I-9 that are exportable to Microsoft excel
- Allows for the sharing of data with many HR and internal audit systems
- Is built on Microsoft SQL server technology to allow for unlimited scalability and customization for other onboarding processes
Security and Support
- Utilizes a third-party signed SSL Certificate to ensure secure communication
- Housed in an award-winning state-of-the-art Network Operations Center to provide scalability and availability
- Offers help desk assistance